Life’s Purpose Workshop
Life’s Purpose Workshop: Exploring Purpose for Health, Happiness, and Longevity
The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away. – Pablo Picasso
Have you ever wished for more professional and personal fulfillment? In the past few decades, studies on longevity have shown that people who live a “purpose-driven” life, not only find more meaning and fulfillment, they are also healthier and happier. In this 5-session workshop, you will learn why purpose is important to your health, and we will take a methodological approach to finding your purpose and putting it in the driver’s seat for living a healthier and more fulfilled life.
By the end of this class, participants will be able to:
– Identify the health benefits of having purpose in life (such as reduced stress and anxiety, better sleep, lower mortality)
– Recognize one’s values (by doing reflection activities, and conversations on personal values systems)
– Define the positive impact of value-based behaviors on health (review the effect of value affirmation in behavior change)
– Uncover their passion and talents/gifts through reflection, worksheets, and guided conversation
– Align values, passions, and gifts with purpose (class activities to define top 5 passions and top 5 gifts in a purpose formula)
– Draft and use one’s Purpose Statement to develop a plan of action for living a healthy, purpose-driven life.
Instructors: Jayna Rogers, MPH, is a Health Education Manager for the Health Improvement Program and the BeWell Employee Incentive Program Workshop Coordinator. She has been a health educator and researcher for the Stanford School of Medicine for 20 years in the areas of chronic disease self-management, smoking cessation.
Susan Saba, MPH. Susan has a background in health education program planning, group facilitation, and health behavioral change. Prior to joining HIP, she worked at Stanford Prevention Research Center (SPRC) as social research professional on health outcomes and chronic disease prevention.